We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week, taking place between the 13th and 19th September 2021. Organised by the Gas Safe Register (the official list of gas engineers legally allowed to work on gas), Gas Safety Week aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

Quick Links

Why is Gas Safety Important?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, tasteless, odourless, but rapid killer. Ensuring your gas appliances are properly fitted and serviced is critical to preventing CO poisoning, as well as other gas leaks, fires, and explosions. By taking care of your gas appliances, you are taking care of your family, friends, and community.

Gas Safety Week logo on a black background. 
Tagline: Keeping our nation safe.

General Gas Safety Advice

Whether you are a homeowner, landlord, tenant, employer, or conscientious citizen, the following advice could help protect you, your family, friends, and even acquaintances.

  • Check your gas appliances every year: gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safety registered engineer.
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered: find a Gas Safe registered engineer or check that your engineer is registered at GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively, call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.
  • Check your engineer is qualified for the type of gas work you require: e.g., natural gas, domestic boiler. This information can be found on the back of your gas engineer’s Gas Safe ID card and on the Gas Safe Register website.
Male engineer displaying Gas Safe ID card.
Engineer displaying Gas Safe ID card.
  • Check for warning signs that could indicate your gas appliances are not working correctly: for instance, lazy yellow/orange flames instead of crisp blue ones; black marks on or around the appliance; a pilot light that keeps going out; and too much condensation in the room.
Gas hob burner - healthy blue flame,
Gas hob burner.
  • Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse, and loss of consciousness.
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm and make sure your family, friends, tenants, and colleagues also install one: check that CO alarms are marked EN50291 and display the British Standards' Kitemark.
Testing carbon monoxide alarm.
Testing carbon monoxide alarm.
  • Look out for your local community: help friends, relatives, and neighbours who may be unable to arrange their own safety checks keep gas safe by ensuring they have their appliances inspected and serviced regularly. Some people may be unaware of what they need to do to keep safe; helping to spread awareness of gas safety requirements and advice will go a long way to maintaining the wellbeing of your community.

Gas Safety Advice for Landlords

Landlords are legally responsible for their tenants. They must protect the safety of their tenants and community by ensuring maintenance and annual safety checks of gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Additionally, landlords are legally obliged to make sure:

  • Gas pipework, appliances, and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
  • All gas appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use have an annual safety check: tenants can report landlords to the HSE if they do not provide yearly checks. You can register for a free annual reminder email and/or text by visiting StayGasSafe.co.uk.
  • A Gas Safety Record is provided to an existing tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to a new tenant before they move in.
  • You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record until two further checks have taken place.
Completing a Landlord Gas Safety Record.
Completing a Landlord Gas Safety Record.
  • Maintenance and annual safety checks are performed by a qualified Gas Safety registered engineer: you should check your gas engineer’s Gas Safe ID card to verify that they are certified to carry out the work that needs doing. Landlords should also encourage tenants to check the card when the engineer arrives at the property. This information can also be found on the Gas Safe Register.
  • All gas equipment, including any appliances left by the previous tenant, is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.

Gas Safety Advice for Tenants

In addition to checking that any Gas Engineer who arrives at the property is both Gas Safe registered and qualified to carry out the work required, tenants should:

  • Check their landlord’s Gas Safety Record: legally landlords are obliged to ensure gas pipework, appliances, and flues supplied for tenants to use are kept in good condition. They must also arrange a gas safety check of the appliances and flues every year and provide you with a record of the check. If your landlord does not do this, report their details to the HSE.
  • Annually check any gas appliances you own: landlords are not responsible for gas appliances that you own; therefore, it is your responsibility to get them safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a qualified and Gas Safe registered engineer. You can register for a yearly reminder at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
Female customer receiving a reminder email for a gas appliance safety check.
Customer receiving a reminder email for a gas appliance safety check.

Gas Safety Advice for Commercial Catering

Commercial catering kitchen with male chef cooking at the hob.
Commercial catering kitchen.

Employers are legally required to ensure that gas appliances, installation pipework, and flues under their control are maintained in a safe condition to protect both their employees and customers. Individuals in charge of commercial catering businesses are duty-bound to do the following:

  • Gas equipment must be installed, commissioned, and maintained by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer: make sure your gas engineer provides you with the relevant paperwork as you may be required to produce evidence during an Environmental Health inspection. If you do not produce evidence of ongoing maintenance for your Environmental Health Officer (EHO) or if there are safety concerns, the EHO may serve a formal notice stating what actions must be taken to comply with the law.
  • Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and appropriately qualified for the type of work you need doing: the onus is on you to make sure that your gas engineer has the appropriate qualifications to work on your gas supply as well as the type of appliances you have. For example:
    • In a fish and chip shop, engineers must be qualified to work on:
      • Natural gas/ LPG
      • Catering
      • Fish and chip range
    • In a mobile catering vehicle, engineers must be qualified to work on:
      • LPG
      • Commercial mobile catering
      • [The appliance type] – for example, commercial catering range cookers LPG

You can verify which gas types and appliances your engineer is qualified to work on by checking the back of their Gas Safe ID card or by looking them up on GasSafeRegister.co.uk.

Front of a sample Gas Safe ID Card with Gas Safe Register's logo and contact details, as well as the engineer's photo, name, and company.
Front of a sample Gas Safe ID Card.
Back of a sample Gas Safe ID card listing the types of gas and gas appliances the engineer is qualified to work on.
Back of a sample Gas Safe ID card.

Further Information

For gas safety advice and to find or check an engineer, please visit the Gas Safe Register or call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.

Female customer finding a Gas Safe registered engineer on gassaferegister.co.uk
Customer finding a Gas Safe registered engineer on gassaferegister.co.uk.

At PASS Ltd, we offer a range of gas safety instruments including gas leak detectors, flue gas analysers, flue gas analyser kits, and optical gas detection thermal cameras. For more information regarding any of these products, please contact our Sales team on 01642 931 329 or via our online form.