- We highly recommend purchasing this product alongside Radiodetection's Genny4. This genny can be used to find buried utilities that don't send off their own signals and is an essential tool for use with a cable avoidance tool.
- This product is available in two variations. The first is the standard tester, while the second comes with a StrikeAlert function that alerts the user to the presence of shallow buried utilities. Use the dropdown box above to decide which is right for your needs.
CAT4+ Cable Avoidance Tool
An upgraded version of Radiodetection's standard CAT4, the CAT4+ includes all of the functionality of the original unit and also includes a depth estimation function for more accurate determination of buried utility location.
The CAT4 range is a result of 30 years of research into cable avoidance technology. Incorporating all of the functionality necessary to find both buried utilities that give off their own signals and - via the use of a Genny4 - utilities that don't give off their own signals, the CAT4+ allows excavation professionals to gain a comprehensive map of the ground underfoot, ensuring accidental strikes of buried utilities such as water pipes, gas pipes, electrical cables and other utilties don't happen.
Four separate signal determination modes are available on the CAT4+, with information about each relayed through a built-in LCD screen with backlight and bargraph representation. Avoidance Mode, the first of these signals, is used to simultaneously search for and pinpoint Genny, Power and Radio signals and is ideal for speeding up locates. Genny mode reads the signals transmitted from the Genny (with on-demand estimation of buried utility depth), Power mode detects the electromagnetic fields generated by loaded power cables and Radio mode detects long-range radio signals as they travel along buried cables and pipes.
All of the CAT4 range are equipped with unique technology known as eCert. This allows the tool to be connected up to PC and - via an internet connection to Radiodetection - allows the unit to be assessed to ensure that hardware and software are working correctly. This can also be used to extend the validity of the CAT4's calibration certificate whenever you need it.
- High quality rugged instrument with carrying handle. IP54 rated (protection against dust/water) for use outdoors and in varying weather conditions
- Lightweight for continuous use over a time period
- Designed for use with the Genny4 signal generator
- Depth estimation function
- Sensitivity control
- USB connection
- High contrast display with auto-backlight
- Dynamic Overload Protection - automatically filters out the electrical noise generated by substations and other HV installations such as overhead lines
- ECert technology allows calibration remotely via internet connection to Radiodetection
- Avoidance, genny, power and radio modes
- StrikeAlert warning (optional extra) warns the user to the presence of shallow buried utilities
Simultaneously search for and pinpoint Genny, Power and Radio signals for rapid surveying.
Detects the signals transmitted by Genny4, with on-demand estimation of the depth (+ models only) of buried utilities.
Detects the electromagnetic fields generated by loaded power cables.
StrikeAlert Warning (Optional)
Radiodetection CAT4 Technical Specifications
|Locate Performance||Sensitivity @1M||Good Conditions||Poor Conditions|
|Dynamic Range||120dB @ 10Hz|
|Dynamic Overload Protection||40dB @ 50hz (automatic)|
|Locate Accuracy||±10% of depth|
(on undistorted signal with no adjacent signals)
|Line: 5% 0.1m to 3m (4in to 10ft)
Sonde: 5% 0.1m to 7m (4in to 16ft)
|Operating Temperature Range||-20 to 50°C|
|Batteries||2 x LR20 (D) 1.5V alkaline
Compatible with D type NiMH rechargeable batteries
|Data Interface||USB 2.0|
|Recommended Service Interval||1 Year|
|Warranty||12 months from purchase|